The Elgin Township Democrats fought hard to get Democrats elected up and down the tickets. While we can be proud of our many candidates that won their races, unfortunately Donald Trump will be the next president of the United States.
Bernie Sander’s position on the President Elect matches that of many of us.
“To the degree that Mr. Drumpf is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”
In our household, we decided to make donations to organizations that stand for the ideals we believe in.
- Electronic Freedom Foundation
- American Civil Liberties Union
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Human Rights Campaign
You may also want to select a reliable news source to support. We need to make sure the media we trust has the funds to employ investigative reports to dig and report the news truthfully. Here are a few good ones:
This is nowhere near an all inclusive list. You will certainly have your own preferred organizations. Donate and get involved.
We weren’t the only ones to have this idea
We were rather happy to see that we weren’t the only ones that had this idea. Here are donation recommendations we saw the next day on Last Week Tonight with John Olliver
- To that end, we need to focus on helping insure our progressive values are protected wherever possible. So if you can afford the time or money, here are some organizations that are worth supporting.
- To support women’s health, donate to Planned Parenthood (plannedparenthood.org) or the Center for Reproductive Rights (reproductiverights.org).
- If you don’t believe man made global warming is a silly issue, give to the Natural Resources Defense Council (nrdc.org).
- If you don’t think refugees are a terrorist army in disguise, donate to the International Refugee Assistance Project (refugeerights.org).
- You may also want to donate to the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund (naacpldf.org), the Trevor Project for LGBT youth (thetrevorproject.org), or the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (maldef.org).
- And to support journalism, subscribe to a newspaper and donate to ProPublica (propublica.org).